Hello from Wisconsin, USA

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hello from Wisconsin, USA
From: a.wooten@genie.geis.com
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 93 00:42:00 BST
   I have been lurking about, watching this drivel for several weeks now,
and I guess it's time to add my own drivel.  I have a 1960 TR3A, ex SCCA
Solo II car ("ex" because I haven't had the time or $$ to get on the track
for over ten years), two TR4 parts cars, and a TR6 refugee from a junk yard.
I also have two Mustangs, a '68 and an '83, but they go on other lists!  My
solo (autocross) racing was with Blackhawk Valley Region and Chicago Region
SCCA back in the 1970's, and I really haven't done anything with the parts
TRs other than take them apart and put the parts in the loft of my shop.  I
have rebuilt the (TR4A) engine in the TR3A (which now leaks copiously from
somewhere in the rear), straightened a shock (oops! "damper") tower and the
front of the frame, and removed the roll bar so I could move it and the seat
back far enough to keep my knees from hitting the bottom of the dashboard.
That's where it's at, sitting in the shop all covered with dust while I'm
putting the '68 Mustang back together.

================= *** "Iain (I.) Woolf"
   > If what you call the driveshaft is what I call the prop(eller) shaft -
   > ie. the shaft going from the gearbox (transmission) to the
   > differential. Then what do you call what brits call the driveshafts
   > (shaft from differential to wheel)?

   I call them axle shafts.

================= *** (Roger Garnett)
   > A friend is looking for an intake manifold for a Weber 45 DCOE for an
   > MGB- if anyone has or knows of a source for a used one (or cheap new
   > one), please contact me.

   I'd kinda' like to have a Weber setup for my TR3A (with TR4A engine), but
from what I've been reading here it almost sounds like I'm not going to pick
up much more performance than what the old SU's provide.  Weren't the
preferred Webers for the TR4A 40 DCOE's?

================= *** RTFM
   > Read The (insert your favorite rude word here) Manual

   Phil, gotta LOVE it!

================= *** "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612"
   Mike G., many years ago I put an Allison electronic ignition on the TR,
and it was one of the best and cheapest performance mods I ever did!  It
uses all the stock Lucas distributor parts (Zounds!), but eliminates the
points completely!  I had real bad point bouce at 5,000 rpm; with the
Allison it pulls like a grizzly bear to 8,000 (I guess; my tach reads to
6,000 then is blank back to the 0) and then I chicken out.

================= *** Woodruff:
   > Chubby box sounds like very boastful or very degrading term that might
   > arise after a serious night of boozing ... This is some sort of a typo
   > right?

   I'm sure it was initially, but you have revived some distant memories...

================= *** dan parslow re: SOL Physics 101
   > I'd like to hear from anyone who knows of other natural laws governing
   > to auto maintenance, especially original.  Like, say, "The likely hood
   > of a bolt crossthreading is inversely linked to accessibility of the
   > installation point and the availability of spares."

   "The severity of the oil leak is directly proportional to the difficulty
of reaching the location and repairing it."

   "The likelihood of the part being missing on reassembly is directly
related to its functional importance."

   To those of you reading this across the pond, I enjoy reading your posts
even if I can't understand some of it.  I've had this TR3A for over twenty
years, and there are still parts of _it_ I don't understand, too!
   Cheerio, lads!  C U L8R!

        -Tony in WI             Start every day with a smile and a donut
        Drive Carefully!        (smile optional)