Painting with a Brush

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting with a Brush
From: bdow@ee.ubc.ca (Bruce Dow)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 93 3:20:54 PDT
Jim wrote:

> This can be done if you have  a LOT of time.
>
> Laquer paint is the way to go.  Then you have to do LOTS of wet
> block sanding and rubbing out.  You can also use spray cans and they
> same wet sand and buff tecnique.  But if you have a bunch more time
> than money and a good supply of 800-1200 grit sandpaper...go to it.

I have a very nice photo of a paint job my father did on a
1954 Austin A40 in 1962. He painted it Buckingham Green using
a camel-hair brush and celluloid paint heavily diluted with
pine oil! The paint store salesman recommended the pine oil
to slow the drying enough for the brush marks to go away.
No sanding necessary! The only problem is keeping the dust and
bugs away from the paint long enough for it to dry! This also
solved the problem of an uneven look where the parts painted
first meet the parts painted last. The parts painted first were
still wet when he finished the last parts!

Last year I painted my 1960 Vauxhall Victor Deluxe with a spray
gun and enamel paint. But people tell me it looks like a brush
job!!!

Bruce