78 Spit leaf spring and noise question.

To: british-cars@autox.team.NET
Subject: 78 Spit leaf spring and noise question.
From: davec@ece.concordia.CA
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 93 15:38:44 -0400
I have serveral questions about my 78 Spit., here they are:

1. How do you know when the leaf springs is bad?  I was looking
   at my car from the rear and noticed that the two back wheels
   are not perpendicular to the ground.  They are slanted with the top
   of the wheel pointing inward and botton outwards sorta like this;

            /            \
           /              \

   Is this just an alignment problem or can they be corrected by adding or
   removing shims and the radius rod?

2. When I'm driving the car at highway speeds with the top down I notice
   a whirling coming from the back of the car.  The noise would stop
   if I ease up on the acclerator but comes back right away when
   I reapply pressure to the acclerator.  I think it is coming from the
   differential, does anyone have anyone idea what the noise is?

3. While cleaning up the garage I found a new coil that I have gotten
   for my ex-76 Honda civic but never used.  Does anyone know if this
   coil can be use on my 78 Spit. 1500?

One final note, while browsing around a local auto parts store I found
a manual choke conversion kit for $9.00CAN and it looks like it will
fit my ZS carb.  I bought it right away and will install it this weekend.
If anyone is interested, I can let you know how the conversion went since
there has been a lot of talk about ZS carbs.  This sure beats the $100CAN
ZS manual choke conversion kit that the local brits car shop was asking for.
The credit for this idea should go to Dennis (IEDXW@asuvm.inre.asu.edu)
who send me info about ZS carbs a while back.  Thats all for now.

Dave
  Dave Kai-Chui Chu          \/  \/       | /|     | |        |    |    |
  Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.             |/ |     | |        |--  |    |--
  Concordia University               Voice:(514)848-3115      |___ |___ |___
  1455 de Maisonneuve W. H915        Fax:  (514)848-2802
  Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8   Email:davec@ece.concordia.ca