Re: TR6 hazards, Dashes, Say no to Bondo, Trip to Houston

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: TR6 hazards, Dashes, Say no to Bondo, Trip to Houston
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 10:08:45 pdt
> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 10:15:48 MDT
> From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
> To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
> Subject: TR6 hazards, Dashes, Say no to Bondo, Trip to Houston
>

> Dash Refinishing
> ----------------
> Jeremy DuBois wrote:
>
>  > Anybody have any experience refinishing the wood dash on a Spitfire
>  > 1500?  (Or I suppose any car with a wood dash).  The varnish on mine
>
> I've refinished my dash on my TR6 and it was in REALLY sad shape when
>
>       1) Remove ALL the varnish.  Use a strong stripper like STRIP-EZ
>          or something like that.  Prepare to work your butt off, but
>          try and let the stripper do its job.  If it's really hard,
>          paint on the stripper and wrap the dash in aluminum foil to
>          hold in the fumes.  Wear gloves, and use disposable brushes.

Wax paper works well at this stage.  It has the added advantage of
being transparent.  This makes it easier to work the stripper around
with the covering in place.

>       2) Neutralize the stripper with Varsol.  Sand the veneer with
>          a very light sand paper, only with the grain.
>       3) Pick you favorite stain.  IMO, special walnut minwax stain
>          is a really nice color.  Use two coats.
>       4) For a finish, I used a spray can polyurethane by minwax.
>          It was semi-gloss which looks very nice.  I tried brushing
>          the polyurethane on, but this just left many bubbles in the
>          finish because as your brush drags across the many holes in
>          the dash it'll pickup bubbles.  Either use a spray can or
>          spray gun with the finish of your choice.  I used 4 coats.
>       5) Good Luck!

A couple of prep comments:  wet the surface and let it dry before
final sanding.  This will raise the grain.  Minor dents and gouges
can be removed from wood by putting a piece of damp cloth or cotton over
the spot and heating it with a soldering iron.  Just be careful not
to scorch.

> Just say no to Bondo

Bondo works fine if it's properly applied.

Roland