Refinishing Wood Dash

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Refinishing Wood Dash
From: "TOM WAGNER, Wizzard of old Audio/Visual Equipment........Nanaimo
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 12:22:19 PST
Last dash I refinished was a MKI Jaguar.  Of course I was warned about how
thin the veneer was so I used a chemical stripper that was water soluble.  The
main reason for the solubality choice was that's what the the hadware had.

It was not chipped but it was badly cracked and dull.  I used a good qualility
scraper and lots of steel wool.

Now for the strange memories.  I used a product called "Spar Varnish" to do the
coating.  It was great.  It was brushable and flowed as smooth as glass.  Does
that sound like a form of "Valspar".  Spar Varnish is/was made by Pitsburg Paint
and is intended for painting "Spars" on boats.  It is u/v and heat resistance
and
never changes color.  As per most of my projects, I lost track of the vehicle
about 5 years ago, but in the 5 years I owned it the the dash was great.

BTW I brushed it and sanded with wet or dry.  Final finish was put on with a
felt pad soaked in linseed oil and used Pumice Powder as the abrasive.  This
stuff will polish glass....
          ____________      ____________      ____         _____

    Prowd owner of a dog, cat, bird, 6 ducks and a British
    Car  "If Lucas Electric made guns wars wouldn't start"
P.S. (mink got the ducks, but if he comes near the Austin......)