MGB oil level

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB oil level
From: steveb@msd.measurex.com (Steve Beck)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 17:51:45 -0400
Is anyone aware of the fact/myth that MGB engines should be
run two quarts over full (oil level)? I recently read an article
written by drag racer Don Garlits where he answered technical
questions concerning an MGB rebuild. Apparently he has owned
several B's in the past, and said something to the effect of
the engine cannot return oil fast enough to the sump, which
results in fluctuating oil pressure while at highway speeds.

He also states that he was told this by an "old chap" from an
MGB garage in England. He even fashioned a custom dipstick
which read the new "correct" oil level.

Does Big Daddy know what he is talking about? It seems I
remember hearing something about the oil return problem being
an inherent problem with MGB's, but I have never heard the cure
of overfilling the engine.

It does seem to make logical sense, but what about technical sense.
I have noticed my '77 B's oil pressure gauge will fluctuate
sometimes at high speeds. I haven't noticed it in my '67 BGT's
guage (since it hasn't been on the road enough!).

Any comments on this subject would be welcome.

Steve