Re: Convertable Tops

To: Gary_L._Falcon@learnlink.emory.edu
Subject: Re: Convertable Tops
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 93 09:16:45 pst
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> From: Gary_L._Falcon@learnlink.emory.edu
> Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1993 10:16:16 EST
> Subject: Convertable Tops
>

> To the point:  The top is in good shape;  there are no obvious holes, but
> many of the seams are beginning to come apart.  It looks to me like most of
> the top can be repaired by hand-sewing the seams that are opening.  Has
> anyone tried this?   What type of thread do you reccomend?  Is this a
> reasonable approach, or is there an alternate way to repair an old top?

Why not take it to an upholstery shop and have them re-sew the seams for
you?  You'll get a better looking job than you're likely to be able to
do by hand, it will save you a lot of tedious work, they can use any
kind of thread you like (you could even supply your own if that's an
issue), and it shouldn't cost that much.  Get an estimate and see if
it's worth while.  I had an entire tonneau cover sewn together once and
it was very cheap.  A pro can do the whole thing in a few minutes.
Don't be afraid to get more than one estimate.  Prices can vary a lot.

While the shop has the top you might want to look into having a new rear
window sewn in if one is needed.  There was a big discussion on the list
a while back about weather this was cost effective or not.  Apparently
what makes this expensive is the cost of removing and re-installing the
top.  But I assume you already have the top off the car.  I've had this
done fairly reasonably in the past.

Roland