Re: Pistons, and general engine question (Spit 1500)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mjb@triumph
Subject: Re: Pistons, and general engine question (Spit 1500)
From: dave@pacdata.com (Dave Ambrose)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 93 15:29:40 PST

>Another approach is to find some car in a junkyard with a similarly sized
>motor with fuel injection, and adapt those electronis to the Spit.  My wife
>gets a little nervous whenever I open the hood of her Civic Si and stare
>at the fuel system.  Someday soon.

        This could be a marriage made in,  errr, um,  France, that's it!

        A FIAT 1.8L 4 engine and tranny assembly from a 124 or 131 will fit
into a Spitfire.  Before y'all start laughing,  these are actually good
engines and can be had with fuel injection.

        A friend of mine dropped a carburetted version of this engine into
his spit.  Performance was great.  Unfortunately,  the entire thing melted
down in the Oakland firestorm.

        Of course,  it might make more sense to just buy a 124 Spyder. ;-)

        Dave "was it something I said?" Ambrose