XJ6 Questions

To: "'british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: XJ6 Questions
From: israel@merck.com
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 11:14:00 PST
Greetings All,

This seems like th obvious place to post a couple of questions I have
regarding my  '86  XJ6 Series III.

First question concerns the Air Conditioning compressor.  Several months ago
the old one perished thus prompting me to order a replacement.  This week I
set about the installation process.   After getting everything in place I
went to hook up the lines (No problem) and to connect the wire lead from the
thermal fuse to the thermal sensor(?) located at the rear of the compressor.
  Turns out that the new compressor does not accommodate a thermal sensor
and the old one cannot even be used.  My question is, what purpose does this
serve and can I get by without it?  What about the lead from the thermal
fuse to the sensor; does it conduct electricity or heat?  Can I just leave
it hanging or do I connect it to ground?  I have not hooked up the belts or
charged the system yet but I do hear what sounds like the compressor
 clicking on when I turn up the Air Conditioning.

My second question regards a fuel smell which only occurs when I have the
windows down or the sun-roof open.  The gas tanks show no signs of leaking
and I just recently replaced the carbon canister and fuel cap seals.

Regards,

           Mike Israel

 mike_israel@merck.com

77 Spitfire