Over the deep edge...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Over the deep edge...
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 08:36:06 -0800
I came down with a cold Sat morning so didn't make much headway on the 3.  I
picked up the new hydrolic lines Fri morning.  Stainless steel is almost worth
its weight in gold.

I decided to replace all the lines on the 3 because they were in middlin to poor
shape and I am paranoid about brake failure.  I have had 3 cars that went into
sudden brake failure.  A '60 Dodge station wagon that blew a wheel cylinder, The
Green Land Rover that had a pin hole leak in a brake line, and my first car, a
1955 Ford that had problems I didn't climb down to check.  I was driving it down
a windy mountain road when all of a sudden the brakes went out.  i turned off
the engine, and pulled out the emergency brake.  The car was still going too
fast to make a 180 degree curve.  I put it into the chapperal alongside the road
which slowed it down but not enough.  I bailed out of the car & stopped rolling
just in time to see the back of the car disappear over the cliff.

I'm paranoid about brakes.  Thats why I converted my '60 Land Rover to a more
recent Land Rover duel brake system.  Thats why I am putting satinless steel
brake lines on the 3.

Sat afternoon I bent the lines for fitting.  It rained Sunday, so I was
regulated to inside the house activities.  Like rebuilding the 3's front
calipers and polishing the new brake lines.  When I found myself sitting in the
middle of the living room floor  on a carpet of laied out newspapers polishing
away and humming bars of Hot Rod Lincon, I suddenly realized I had gone over the
deep end of overrestoration.  Polished stainless steel hydrolic lines?  Well
thought I, rationalizing in a cold fevored state, They are not painted to match
the car because the engine compartment is already painted.  And not polishing
them seemed such a waste of good stainless steel.  Besides I want to see how
long it will take Ibson Dow to put stainless steel lines on his TR3A after he
sees mine.

With any sort of luck, next weekend, weather & health permitting, I'll finish
running the brake lines, inspect the rear brakes (I rebuilt them just before I
took the 3 off the road) and install the front calipers.  I should also dig out
the transmission and get it ready for installation.  Its almost time to drop the
engine into the car.  This is getting too real after these years of little
apparent headway.

Take care,

TeriAnn

Now if I can only find where I placed the master cylinders for safe keeping.  I
saw them just 4 or 5 months ago.  They just are not in any place that I have
searched.

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561