Re: TR-Petrol Tank

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-Petrol Tank
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 94 23:13:30 CST
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(Re: TR-Petrol Tank) File(FEB08943.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 02-08-1994 .. 23:07:03
>Your chances of finding a good condition TR3 petrol tank are actually quite
>poor.  The factory used felt pads under the tank and under the tie down straps
>The tank is in a closed off area where moisture can easily enter but not get
>out, so those pads hold water for a very long time.
>
>Mine was rusted through in one spot and almost all the way through in a couple
>of others.  I went to a yard that had 10 plus tanks saved from dismanteled Tr3
>Every one of them were in bad shape.
>
>I ended up taking mine down to the local radiator shop where I had it boild ou
>and patches welded on to the badly corroded areas.  My tank went back in with
>inner tube rubber glued to the tank.  Mo more felt pads!
>
>Try to get your old one fixed if you can.

Thanks for your input. Mine is not rusted though anywhere though
The area under the straps is actually quite good. The problem mine
has is that the bottom (the lower part past the hump) is rusted and
not even rusted through. It just looks like surface rust but gas
seeps out. The last time I had it out of the car (one of the things
I am getting good at but hate to do) I plugged up the holes, vent
etc. ) and hooked it up to the output of my vacume clener. When I
put soapy water on the bottom if made lots of bubbles all over the
place. Foamy even!

I tried por-15 on the inside.
I tried Epoxy on the outside.
It would be too much to try to flow solder over the whole bottom!

My next try was going to be to coat the inside of the take with
something like fiberglass resin. I have to find something that
wont react too bad with gasoline though. I know they make fuel
cells out of fiberglass so this may be ok.

Any ideas out there in???

No local welding shop that I called (or radiator shop) would
even touch a fuel tank. They claim insurance won't let them.

 ! Louis A. Poche'                 !  Chief Engineer                  !
 ! Internet: POCHE@music.loyno.edu !  Loyola University               !
 ! CompuServe:   73007,1521        !  Department of Communications    !
 ! Amateur Radio: KD5XE            !  6363 St. Charles Ave.           !
 ! Voice Phone: (504) 865-3636     !  Box 201                         !
 ! FAX:         (504) 865-2666     !  New Orleans, LA 70118           !