Re: Z-S rebuild

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Z-S rebuild
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 1994 23:24:56 -0500 (EST)
Peter describes how to change the adjuster o-ring on later ZS carbs. I have
two changes to make the job a whole bunch easier, both dealing with that
damn star clip.

> To replace the "O" ring:
>
> 1.  Remove the piston from the carb.
>
> 2.  Loosen the adjusting screw until the metering needle comes out.
>
> 3.  Using a thin tool with a small hook on the end (l used a dentist's pick),
> remove the star shaped clip which holds the adjusting screw in its place at
> the
> bottom of the dashpot piston.  If you can get it to turn sideways, it will
> come right out.

3a> Stand the piston upside down on a flat surface, and using a suitable tool,
such a s a #2 phillips screwdriver, push the adjuster screw out. It will push
the star clip out, still flat and straight.

> 4.  Remove the old "O" ring from the adjusting screw and replace it with a
> new one.  (Both the screw and "O" ring were available from VB for my MG).
>
> 5.  Use your mixture adjusting tool to put the adjusting screw back in and
> screw it back into the metering needle.
>
> 6.  Drop the retaining clip down the bore on top of the adjusting screw and
> use the same tool which you used to remove it to poke it around until it lies
> flat.
> make it lie flat.  Then you can use a dowel and a small hammer to drive it
> into place.

5a and 6a  slide the adjusting screw in such that it's flush with the top of
the piston bore, set the star clip on top, and push both pieces down together
with a 6 inch long 1/4' drive socket extention.

> Just as an afterthought, I have been using Champion N9s in my MGB with no
> real problems.  Does anyone on the net have any experience with a comparable
> NGK?

Many years ago, I had a problem with Champions, getting about a 5% failure
rate. While this may not sound like a large number, it gets annoying when
you go through 100 plugs per week. I've heard thaqat Champion has since
gotten the quality control in line, but have not gone back to try them. I've
used nothing but NGK for the last few years in almost all cars. I'm quite
happy with them.

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com