installing the new top

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: installing the new top
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 16:20:39 CST
Pheweee, got the new roof on the Midget at last.

Well, let me say it didn't take an hour to install, not 2, nor 3. I started
at 8am and finished, oh, about 3.30 pm. You could say it was a tight
little bugger!

First I whipped the old one off, covered the car, and sprayed the frame
to get it all shiny new again. I then replaced a couple of the Tenax
stud thingys on the cockpit surround, measured up the new top, and made
the appropriate holes for the rear rail and Tenax snaps. Everything was
installed smoothly, if a little slowly! I got my SO out to help pull
the top forward and dtretch it into postion. Couldn't get the wrinkles
out around the back window...we tugged, sworked, tugged some more, got
angry, SO gets annoyed with me getting annoyed, I get annoyed with her
for getting annoyed with me for getting annoyed with the top...you
get the picture! Anyway, I eventually stretch it into an ok looking position
and duly mark its position. I glued it down and waited 1/2 hour.

I tried closing it to check for wrinkles, then adjusted a little and clamped
it down again. After anither 1/2 hour I started pop riveting. Off course
the crappy litle rivets which I got with the gun were useless so off I toddled
to get some longer better ones, and got the header rail back on
afetr putting in one rivet...checking for wrinkles...putting in one
rivet...and so on. I finally got the weather strip on and tryed closing it...
Nn Go...oh oh I thought...too tight. It took me and my roomate to
close it!!!! That was pretty scary, but there were still a few wrinkles
in the back which would give a little.

Its now all smoothed out but good and tight, and I can *just* manage to
close it myself! In all I'm glad I did this and saved the $200 (yes $200!)
that the local upholsterer quoted to install it!.

Thanks again to everybody with tips and pointers.

I have a question...
On the Midget there are two small black plastic rectangles about 2cm*1cm*cm
on either end of the header rail. The one on the left sits on the outside
of the quarter light, the one on the right however, prefers to rest almost
on top of the quarter light frame. Should these little widgets be
on the outside, inside or are they PO deals?? They are held into
the header with two self tapping screws. I can't figure what use they are
other than for holding the corner of the hood to te frame neatly.

Marcus