Re: Trendy Colors

To: reilly@admail.fnal.gov (Rob Reilly)
Subject: Re: Trendy Colors
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:52:36 -0600 (CST)
> Buy your family a teal Chevy or Ford and do the Lotus as you like it.

If I could afford to do that, lots of things would be different.  First
off, I would replace the Mighty K-wagon with a Saturn wagon, 5-speed, twin
cam.  Salt is the curse of this town.  I offered to repaint the Mighty
K-wagon in the teal someday, but Susie told me that she wanted it to stay
silver-grey for that "Q-ship" effect, but the Lotus was an exotic that
demanded a flashy color.

> call it "Re-Sale Red", I'm never going to sell it. That trendy pastel green
> came back a couple of years ago on Chevys, and I suppose it will probably be
> gone and out of style next year.

So who cares what is "in style"?  The color we settled on for the Lotus
is the one on a Honda that I like, too. It is essentially my second choice
after the the original yellow.  Both red and black get too damned hot in
the sun, and this fiberglass has suffered enough.

> When I was young and foolish I painted my MGA "Metal Flake Candy Apple
>Purple".
> Remember that era, when you used to see those colors on VW dune buggies? I
> wonder where that car is now, maybe some subsequent owner is cursing me, the
> infamous PO.

A matter of taste.  It was not STUPID like painting a fiberglass car,
in Hawaii, black.

> Last year at a British Car show I saw a pale pink metallic MGA

Might be OK, I'd have to see it.

> and a tartan plaid MGTD.

Sounds delightfully funky to me.  Like a whole car painted with a Union Jack.