Re: Never-Sieze, Oil Pressure, Tires

To: Kirby Palm <palmk@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Never-Sieze, Oil Pressure, Tires
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 94 13:20:43 EST
Kirby sez:
> For manufacturers, there is a better alternative.  They can use bolts
> that are coated with an anti-sieze substance, so the assembly line can
> continue to simply pull bolts out of the bin and install them.  Of
> course, this would probably add $.50 to the cost of a car, and the
> accountants would have fits.

The accountants have fits anyway - that's their job. The problem is when
they run the company, in which case there isn't anyone to moderate their
views, inject a bit of reality and common sense into policy, and go ahead
and build good product anyway.

> Meanwhile, I would like to point out that manufacturers of outboard
> motors don't use never-sieze.  There is simply no hope for those of us
> who believe in fixing things rather than throwing them away and buying
> new.

Actually there is: dissassemble all the devices (while still possible),
and reassemble using anti-sieze, thread lock, hardened crank hubs,
roll cage, 6-point harness, and while you're at it how about some extra
power?

--
---
John R. Lupien