RE: New midget prices etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New midget prices etc.
From: Richard Olearczyk <ollie@rcp.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 94 09:29:16 GMT
> "What price a '90s Midget?

> &18,000?  Isn't that about $36,000?
> ARE THEY CRAZY?

****** whinge on

Remember, you Yanks always pay less for your cars than almost anyone
in the Western World. (some c**p about economies of scale say the
manufacturers). So whilst the Brits will fork out 18,000 pounds stirling
or there abouts for the new midget, you are likely to to get it for no
more than 20,000 US dollars, otherwise it would be 'uncompetative' in
the market place. (i.e. the new MG RV8, TOO expensive at 24,000 pounds
to even contemplate shipping to the states!)

The UK has always been the most expensive place to buy and insure cars in
Europe, and yes it pisses us off, since there seems to be nothing we can
do about it (apart from a revolution!).

I don't remember the exact figures, but during the seventies/eighties,
a TR7 was sold AT A LARGE LOSS in the states!

******* whinge off.

******* smirk on.

So you are unlikely to see the new MG Midget being sold in the states in
large numbers if at all, the only ones you are likely to see will be
private imports. Unless overheads are cut significantly (unlikely), or very
large volumes can be shipped (also unlikely due to competition from the
Miata MX5 etc.) the MG will be mainly a european sports car - especially
now its owned by BMW.

Of course they could start building it at their new BMW plant in the
states......
(a trad. english sports car built in the states by germans - perish the
thought!)

******* smirk off

--
Richard Olearczyk  (ollie)    |    RCP Ltd.,