Tranny's out. Thanks.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny's out. Thanks.
From: Jon Mason Gougar Jr <gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 19:45:18 -0600 (CST)
   I removed the transmission from my BGT last Saturday, and I would
like to thank all of those that sent me advice on the subject. I had
to leave the engine in the car, because I have no hoist, nor joists in
my garage from which to hang any type of winch (tongue and groove ceiling).
It went quite well, even though I had to move the engine forward about
three inches. I just built a simple bridge under the car out of angle
iron and tires and railroad tie, and then when I slid the engine forward,
the transmission just dropped about half an inch down onto the bridge.
Then it was just a matter of wrestling it out from under the car.
  The whole extraction process, including much scratching of head and
hhmmmmming and hawing, took about four hours. Aside from being time
consuming, I didn't think it was that big of a deal.
   Now I get to replace, among other things, the throwout bearing. I
have seen both the roller type and the graphite type advertised. Which
is the better way to go? I have heard that the roller type isn't so
great because of the constant drag on it, similar to what disc brake
pads are subjected to. Is this true?
   Also, the ring gear is shot, causing the starter to bind. Is it
possible to avoid replacement by merely turning the gear one eighty
on the flywheel, or won't it go on that way?
   Thanks in advance for any answers.