MG RV8 lecture

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG RV8 lecture
From: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 11:33:28 +0900
   Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 16:13:21 GMT
   From: paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk (paul gilders rs)

   Richard Olearczyk writes:

    > Remember, you Yanks always pay less for your cars than almost anyone
    > in the Western World. (some c**p about economies of scale say the

No problem! Japanese pay the balance.

    > manufacturers). So whilst the Brits will fork out 18,000 pounds stirling
    > or there abouts for the new midget, you are likely to to get it for no
    > more than 20,000 US dollars, otherwise it would be 'uncompetative' in
    > the market place. (i.e. the new MG RV8, TOO expensive at 24,000 pounds
    > to even contemplate shipping to the states!)

Rover Japan kindly sells RV8 at the extroadinary cheap at 4 million yen:-)
It corresponds to 24,000 pounds and $36,000.
But I do not refute Rover's claiming "Fair Play" because that amount of money
is only enough for a 318 of BMW and a 405 of Peugeot range here.
(Of course cannot afford for a Z28)
This is the secret why 1200 of RV8 was sold in a moment.

   As for the reason for not making the car for the American market -
   well apparently it was due to the emissions regulations - using the
   3.9 litre RangeRover engine as the powerhouse would have required too
   much in the way of development cost, which would have tipped the
   balance for the limited edition. Personally, I still can't help

In Japan, emission control is closely strict as in Calfornia.
Maybe Rover Japan prepared by themselves.
It will not cost so much to be admitted to sell small number.
                                                        ,
Kazuhiro Igeta  Caterham and Lotus seven  Isuzu 117 Coupe
NTT BRL         Half of Vanden Plas 1300  2002 Alpina