a/c for Demisting

Subject: a/c for Demisting
From: gavin@csis.dit.csiro.au (Gavin Walker)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 12:09:43 +1100 (EST)
Hi all
  I was driving home in the rain last night and was trying to get the
Rover SD1 to demist properly.  There was something jammed in the facia
control flap so with the fan on full I was getting as much air out of
the facia vents as I was out of the demisting vents.  That coupled
with the fan noise, ineffectiveness of the side window vents and the
bad connection to the passenger windscreen vent lead me to do
something drastic.  I followed the owners manual.

  Actually this has a wealth of information about how things are
supposed to work.  It said that on cars fitted with Alpinair (a
Dealer fitted a/c)  you can demist the windows fast by turning on the
a/c and the heater.  So I switch the fan to recycle,  turn the a/c on
the hottest setting and put the heater on.  The windows were crystal
clear within a minute.  Very effective.  The heater more than
compensated for the a/c (Rover makes good heaters).  On the downside
when the a/c cut off the windows slowly fogged but the cycle was
reasonable.  Also with the facia vent still partially open you got
cold air in your face while it was on.  On the plus side you don't
have to run the rear demister.

I may have to try this on my other car.  The demister has had it but
the a/c works ok.

Thought it might be useful for you guys up there in the snow.

--
  _--_|\             -|-    Gavin Walker