Re: california and clunkers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: california and clunkers
From: Michael G Hering <MGHering@world.std.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 1994 10:26:30 -0500 (EST)
not attempting to malign CA by suggesting that this one state is
responsible for the country's pollution woes.  I was merely trying to
point out what he himself agreed to: that SOCA has an exceptionally bad
pollution problem due to its peculiar topography and the weather's
reluctance to corrode old steel.  This is based on a comparison with,
say, Michigan or Boston where I live now.  Here the salt and sand contribute
to a premature death of any car that is not (relatively) well cared for and
all the pollution blows out to the Atlantic anyway.  I realize that CA
has the strictest pollution control laws available, the most cars of any
state, and therefore the most clean cars.  I was just trying to point out
that it has the additional pollution problem of a lower attrition rate
than the salt and snow belt states.  My comment would also apply to
states like Arizona and New Mexico, but they have less people and more
forgiving mountains.  To all CASOL's: please understand that I was not
trying to dump on your state, and I apologize if I offended you.  I was
trying to talk about the problem, not pin the blame :-)

                Michael "used to live in CA" Hering
                TR4A IRS '67