Anti seize goop

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Anti seize goop
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 11:23:14 -0500
>From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
>Subject: MG head gasket questions
>
>Finally, some months ago there was a discussion on putting
>a drip of oil on the threads of the head bolts prior to torquing.
>The problem, if I remember correctly, was that some folks felt that
>the oil would make the nuts turn more easily, but might also
>result in a false reading from the torque wrench, in effect,
>cause overtightening.

Hmm, I don't remember a consesus, so here's my plug.

I swear by that silver anti seize compound on the label of which says
"tighten to spec". I swear at myself if I notice years later that I
forgot to use it. There is a huge, well-used can of the goop at the shop
where our TR7 is now, and the mechanic said that he puts it on everything.
I have nothing but praise for this stuff, and have never had problems with
warping or broken parts or stuff vibrating loose, only the pure pleasure of
removing a fastener without frustration.

If duct tape is the sticky silver stuff of the gods, anti-seize compound
is the slimy silver stuff of the gods.

Jody

jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto - '79 British Leyland product