TR3 oil guage

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 oil guage
From: BIRDD@UCRAC1.UCR.EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 1994 17:45:39 -0700
I would like some help in understanding how the oil guage on my (newly
acquired) TR3 works, and perhaps some advice as to how to cure it from
hanging up. When the engine is turned off, the needle remains on 70 psi. It
stays on 70 when the engine is turned on again (it occasionally goes to 80
with spirited driving). If the engine has been off for a long time (hours),
vigorously tapping the guage immediately after cranking will bring it down
to zero; it then climbs slowly (normally?) back to 70 psi. Is this
realistically reparable? If not, any suggestions for finding a "new" one;
guages seem rather scarce.
I also need to find someone in So. Cal (preferably near Riverside) able to
replace the floors. The sheet metal bending required is far beyond my
skills, but I am uneasy about trusting the old girl to just any body shop.
Thanks,
David McK. Bird