Aluminum

To: tdm@akguc.att.com
Subject: Aluminum
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 12:55:00 +0000 ()
Hi Don,

As an ex-welder (well I still weld but not, cough cough, for a living)
I'm always twitchy around aluminum. It's such a #%^& to weld nicely.

As a softer and more porous metal it's more easily etched into by acids,
and more likely to hold some of the agent, IMHO.

A metalurgest (SP) or chemist could tell you more, but I would say that
if you wash it really well, and did not get severe pitting then you're OK.

Personally, having just replaced the clutch on the TR3 and fallen into a
serious case of "shipwright's cleaning" I simply GUNK the casing and then
wire brushed the outside with a rotary brush on a drill.

It came up very well. In the long run I'm not a  great fan of using
chemical agents like acid unless there's really no other way to get the
desired result.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Ball
triumph@io.org