The Daimler goes....

Subject: The Daimler goes....
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Fri, 6 May 94 13:44:30 MDT
Last summer, a CU student from Germany stopped by to talk Jaguars after
seeing our Daimler sedan parked in the drive.  He fell in love with it
and would stop by every couple months to see it and gently ask if I
wanted to sell it.  I always told him "No, I'm not interested." and kept
tinkering with it.  A couple weeks ago, I totaled up what the rust
repair was going to cost, both mentally and financially, and didn't like
the result.  It was going to be years before it would be safely back on
the road.  A few days later, Volker happened to stop by again, saying
that he was leaving for Germany soon and he couldn't get the Daimler off
his mind and again he asked if I was interested in selling the Daimler.
This time I surprised him by saying yes and now it's on it's way to
Germany for a total restoration at his brother's body shop.

Naturally, the next weekend on a Rocky Mt. Jag Club outing, I got to
meet some nice folks who are big Jag MkII enthusiasts and racers.
They've got 5 MkII's stored in their barn and I figured if I hadn't
already sold it, I could have traded the Daimler for one of their
non-rusted MkII's.  Oh well, too bad, so sad.

While it was really sad watching the Daimler drive away and Tris, our
son, was really heartbroken, it's rather liberating not to be staring a
big restoration in the face anymore.  It's also fun being in a position
to look at used Jaguars to buy, both older and newer.  Since we really
don't need a second car, we're under no pressure to immediately buy
anything and whatever we do get doesn't have to be particularly
practical.  But we do intend to get another Jaguar/Daimler and it's got
to have room for 3 little butts in back so we can take our 3 kids along
if we want (I had originally gotten the Daimler because driving little
2-seaters always meant leaving the kids behind and I got tired of being
in a different place mentally from the rest of my family).  So, we're
gonna look around for awhile and see what shows up.

Last Tuesday, Anne and I test drove a beautiful blue Jag '83 XJS V12.
Pushing that V12 was a genuine religious experience, but unfortunately
I'm still a couple $K short of attaining that level of enlightenment.
I hate it when that happens.

/\      Lawrence "We like Torque.  Massive torque is our friend" Buja
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________