Broken Clutch?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Broken Clutch?
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Mon, 9 May 94 13:36:53 EDT
Well, I had planned to send out a note saying how great my MGB weekend
had been, I spent all day Saturday at our club's tune-up clinic
getting a patch panel welded in the passenger side dogleg and an
electronic ignition installed.  I also bought a compressor and was
planning to begin stripping my car for paint.

That is all on hold now.  As is a yearly spring ritual for me, as
annual as rainy weekends in Dayton, my car has died yet again.  As
usual, I'm coming to this list for diagnostic assistance.  At lunch
today I was leaving a parking lot when I pushed the clutch in to
sshift gears I got an awful grinding noise (I felt it through the
pedal too).  The car runs fine in neutral, but when I push the clutch
in, it grinds like mad.  I assume this means I had a catsrophic
failure of some part of the clutch.  Do these symptoms strike a cord
with anyone?  I have had what I would call clutch related problems
lately, it hasn't wanted to engage fully, sometimes making it hard to
get out of gear.

Sadly,

Bob Jones

p.s. Hey ScottF., I knew we both couldn't have our B's running at the
same time. :-(