Re:MGB Convertible Top Qestion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MGB Convertible Top Qestion
From: steveb@msd.measurex.com (Steve Beck)
Date: Wed, 11 May 94 14:14:18 -0400
Scott Turner wrote:
>I'm (still) installing a new convertible top on my 79 MGB. There's
>a strut that runs just above the rear window on this style top. The
> strut is removable, and on my old top, ran through a cloth tube
>just above the rear window.  Or it might have been glued into this tube.

>The top I'm installing doesn't have such a cloth tube, but it does
>have two pieces of cloth in the right place that could be sewed
>toghter to form a tube or glued to the strut. Any idea what the
>"right" thing to do is?

I didn't know that the strut was removeable, but anyway...
you are right, the two pieces are meant to be sewn or glued
together to form a tube for the strut. When I put my top on
my '77 MGB I forgot about it until about 3 weeks later. Since
it didn't seem to hinder anything - and actually made the
notoriously difficult B top easier to put down - I left it
unglued. The only drawback to this is that sometimes the strut
will tend to position itself forward a slight bit when putting
the top up.

I don't think you want to glue the strut to the canvas itself if
you decide to glue the two pieces together. I believe it is designed
to form a tube as you described and the strut should have freedom
of movement. Hope this helps.

Steve