LBC Army Jeep, Daisy Update.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: LBC Army Jeep, Daisy Update.
From: wade@ops.tridom.com (Wade Massengil)
Date: Wed, 11 May 94 20:56:45 EDT
Greasings and Lubrications, All...

        Following this thread...

        [From: "Roger Garnett"

        [> after WW II.  Things got a little slow so a bunch of bored mechanics
        [> installed an Allison in an army jeep.

        [Interesting- I have a book of short stories with a very similar tale
in it
        [Except, instead of killed, the GI's efforts resulted in a powerful
enough
        [Jeep to save the General from a shelling attack, after which the
General
        [started driving it in stead of just riding...

        [RG

        I recall reading this (or similar) story as a bored high school student
        and I remember the engine being a Rolls-Royce.

        There was also the story of the French resistance fighters who cobbled
        together a home-brew airplane and powered it with a Rolls-Royce engine,
        in the same book. As I recall, the whole collection was devoted to
        car stories.

        What I have in common with the French resistance fighters above is
        Daisy, the Yellow Car. 1. British Powered  2. Made out of junk in my
        own garage  3. My in-laws said 'it'll never fly'  4. My neighbors
        were surprised when I fired her up and went off into the sunset,
        and like the French airplane, with seatbelts...but no seats!!

        She makes a beautiful sound. Last Saturday was the first I've heard
        her note. Most everything works. No leaks. 90+ psi oil pressure.
        Because of his continual and invaluable assistance, I allowed my
        Brother-the-Mechanic to take the first drive. Sweet Wife Kathy
        would _not_ be dissalowed the first trip around the block and I sure
        as H### wasn't going to be left behind so we all three piled in.
        Without a stitch of upholstery, Brother and I sat on Coca-cola crates
        she perched herself on the battery box. What a sight we must have been!
        Neighbors stopped there yardwork to wave and applaud.

        I guess you understand the feeling or you don't. I savored the
        moment for a while.

        Now, to convince the SU fuel pump that it does, in fact, have a
        full-time job!!

        Wade 'almost done' Massengill