Re: Brake lithe switch

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake lithe switch
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 07:13:15 -0800 (PST)
Roland,

I don't remember which car it was on (I think it was the Lotus), but I
have seen switches that the brake petal _pulls_ instead of _pushes_.
A spring connects the petal to a hole in the switch plunger.  The
switch is adjusted to let the spring be slightly slack, and the when
the petal moves, the spring pulls the switch plunger and activates the
lights.  More petal movement just stretches the spring.  A system like
this might allow a simple setup...

On the subject of adding the switch, yet keeping your snake
"original", you might want to just add the switch in parallel to the
original switch.  If the original wiring connects to the sensor switch
with spade terminals, you can get special terminals that allow adding
a connection ...  bad ASCII picture follows...

                      ------ ========= connector to orig. brake wiring

original spade ------ ========= connector to "new" switch
on switch
                     |_________|

                      "special" spade connector
                      to add a circuit

Just add the connectors wired to you "new" switch (whatever it may
be), and you haven't made any permanent wiring changes or splices.
The car is still original by removing the "temporary" wiring and
switch, and you won't become a DCO (Dreaded Current Owner (tm)) ;-)

Good Luck on finding a switch that works, (or maybe you could find a
hydralic switch that operates at a lower pressure???).

Tim Mullen          mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov    Chantilly, VA
72 Elan Sprint      "For the few who know the difference"