Spridget smooth/rib case interchangability

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spridget smooth/rib case interchangability
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 12 May 94 09:59:02 CDT
I haven't recieved any replies yet to the gearbox problem that Rory
is experiencing in his Morris.

Background: We stuck a 1967 Sprite ribcase into the morris....it had a
smoothcase with a sheared layshaft originally.

The ribcase is jumping out of second every time, and occasionally out
of third. First of all, what is causing this? The Haynes says three
things 1) the 1/2 and 3/4 rod is worn 2) the little bearing that fall
into the slots on the rods are worn or the springs are broken
(I assume that it is these balls and springs which hold it in gear)
3) the dog coupling is worn (what the **** is the dog coupling? It's
mentioned NOWHERE else in the manual!!!).

Will replacement of the the little bearings and springs help, or will the
rods need changing too? Or is there something else entirely which
keeps the car in gear (the dog coupling??)

Yours desperately

Marcus and Rory