RE- Big Healey Motor Mount

To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE- Big Healey Motor Mount
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 12 May 1994 16:30:33 U
                      RE:  Big Healey Motor Mounts

OLIN KANE WRITES:

> I recently pulled the engine out of my A-H 3000 and discovered
> the two main rubber motor mounts were broken. I also noticed that
> both mounting pads were twisted to the right. Looks like engine
> torque and a poorly designed mounting system are the problems.

> Is this common in 3000's?

It seems to be somewhat common.  If those were the original, or
at least fairly old engine mounts I wouldn't be surprised at all.
I've seen several engines pulled which had the original engine
mounts, and over half exhibited failed rubber.  Either it was
very cracked and hard, or had seperated from the metal plates.

Another problem which isn't quite so prevelant, but which I've
seen on a few cars, is cracking of the welds which hold the
motor mount towers to the frame.  Check these carefully while
the engine is out.  And while you're at it, look at the bottom
of the front cross member on the frame also.