Overdrive!!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive!!
From: paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk (paul gilders rs)
Date: Fri, 13 May 94 16:27:37 BST
Well, ever since I bought my TR6 in the US over a year ago, I have had
my eye out for an suitable overdrive unit, and this week I think I
found one - and I'm so childishly happy and excited! Anyway, the main
delay in the "upgrade" has been cost and I've always told myself to
wait until I could really afford such luxuries. Anyway, this week I
looked through the TR Register's magazine and found a Triumph 2500
gearbox and overdrive for 30 pounds - it was more than I could resist,
so I called a number of "experts" to find out the necessary
differences and alterations that I might have to do to fit this unit.
It seems that the major difference is with the gearbox input spline
which require the fitting of the Triumph 2500 clutch disk. In addition
I might have to redrill the output flange holes to the propshaft. I
also need to sort out the speedo drive components and maybe
re-calibrate my speedo, since I think the overdrive has a different
speedo output ratio. Anyway, I did buy the gearbox on the premise that
I really couldn't go far wrong - I hope I'm right.

I've had an initial inspection of the unit and it appears to be ok -
sounding smooth in all gears, so I will try and fit it over the
weekend if I can get all the relevant components. Has anybody else
used a Triumph 2500 gearbox and overdrive for a TR6? If so - are there
any hidden problems and suggestions/advice?

Cheers,

        Paul.