The Jensen lives!! also the Wonderful car

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The Jensen lives!! also the Wonderful car
From: David.Gunn@Eng.Sun.COM (Dave Gunn)
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 09:38:59 +0800
Sometime ago I started asking for help on a JH engine rebuild.  I got some
general pointers and learned that the engine was Lotus built and that I
would get more info from the Lotus list.  Actually they were pretty much in
the same boat, no-one admitted to rebuilding the 907 series engine......

Well, after weekends and (short) vacations, between school, work and a limited
social life, the 907 Lotus engine roared to life May 10th.  Some of the
problems I encountered
- putting all the parts back in the correct place, you see there is NO diagram
that shows everything, only the obvious
- fitting the +.005 rings, you really have to punch it out .005"
- getting the cam timing set properly, despite the markings on the cam gear,
I had them replaced with new ones
- making sure the oil gets to the top (cams) of the engine, for this I used
a 3/8" punch to drive the socket that I put on the bolt on the shaft that
turns the oil pump, worked nicely
- finally, making sure that the gaskets are lined up with the mating surfaces
and not crumpled thus allowing copius amounts of oil to spew all over the
exhaust manifold.

Before we can get it out on the road we still have the DMV to contend with.
This includes a smog check and proof that we own it, it isn't in their
computer's database.  We let the registration expire while gathering the
courage (and parts) needed to "do" the engine.

I recommend Dave Bean Engineering for parts, they delivered quite nicely.
No, I do not get any discount for mentioning their name.

I look forward to enjoying the feel of a Jensen-Healey on the road.  I have
not *really* driven this car, it was broken when I married it (it belonged
to her).

A point for the JH as "The Wonderful Car", If you look for the two last models,
the JH5 and the GT, I think they both have the 'overdrive' in their 5-speed
trannies.  Our Jensen is a 5-speed (it's a 74 1/2) and 5th is overdrive.  It
looks great and is reported to out handle the Porsche 911 of the day, skidpad
#s I believe.  Almost reasonably priced, usually less than $3k, although I've
been told that "the Jensen-Healey is a three thousand dollar car with a two
thousand dollar engine".

                dave