Re: Seat belts...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat belts...
From: Joe Flake <flake@d311510.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 94 15:30:52 EDT

Nick wrote...

> "original" seat belts in Tilley-my 72 TR6 ...
> whether these 22 year old belts would hold

> Any comments on need for replacing seat belts?

I've not heard any comments that replacing belts because of age
is a general need.  Perhaps constant wetting if the car had
be exposed to unkind weather could cause rotting, but in general
I'd suspect the belt to be in good shape unless obviously frayed.
I'd spend more time checking the end pieces, both the "buckle" and
the mounting bolts and the floor they mount to.  If rusty, that
could be a real problem.

> whether
> to use "original" or to upgrade to a more substantial set?

For normal usage, I'd stick with the standard type belts -- not
necessarily "original" but original width.  I've ridden in a few
cars with the wide 3" belts and it's a bit of a bother unless
you plan to be racing on a regular basis and use the belts to
help hold you in place in the turns (not just crash protection).  Then
the wider belt will be more comfortable.

The upgrade I'd like to do (I also have a '72 TR6) is to convert
from lap belt only to a lap/shoulder belt combination.  One of the
catalogs I recently received (Vicky Brit I think) has a lap/shoulder
belt for the TR6, but claim it only fits 73 (or was it 74?) or
newer.

The '72 has the bolts for attaching shoulder belts; does anyone
know what's different in the belt mountings for the later TR6s?

"Lap belt only" feels funny after driving vehicles with shoulder
harness, yet somehow the idea of being strapped upright in an
open car (without any rollover protection) seems scary too!  Somehow
I want to believe that in "the big one" I could duck below the
doorline for protection.  Probably not possible anyway and it's
better to just avoid eating the steering wheel or windshield!

What gory thoughts to have on Friday 13!  Oh well, tomorrow is
Saturday -- time for top down cruising!

Joe
flake@d311510.atl.hp.com