Likely Fix:Re: Stromberg-Zenith Problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, wk03277@worldlink.com
Subject: Likely Fix:Re: Stromberg-Zenith Problem
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 08:28:57 EDT
Joseph Van Meter writes:

> I have a problem and don't know where (else) to turn for technical advice.
>
> Here goes.
>
> I bought a 78 Spitfire back in October 93. Seemed to run fine.  About
> three weeks later I took it to work.  Still running fine.  Same day I
> started it up and seemed to race at idle at about 2300 RPM range, and
> would not kick down, even after heating up.

> Then came the day of reckoning when I replaced the carb.  Lo and behold,
> the engine seemed to work fine.  Kickdown worked as it was expected,
> eventually slowing the engine idle down to a few hundreds of RPM's,
> slowing down in stages as the engine warmed up - just as it should.

> The original scenario has now reoccurred.

There is a congenital problem with the auto-choke sealing against the
carb body.  It is held on by three screws that shake loose.  Don't lose
them; they're rare as hen's teeth.  Take off the auto-choke, maybe paint
a THIN layer of blue Permatex on both sides of the gasket, and re-install
the screws with BLUE loctite after cleaning screws and threads with Q-tip
in strong solvent (acetone or MEK).  Blue loctite is low-strength and will
allow you to remove the screws from the aluminum carb body without damage.
Note location of shorter screw.  Install the screws to recommended torque
(I think about 40--45 inch-lbs) with something that gives you a bit of
leverage, like an offset screwdriver or screwdriver bit in a socket wrench.

(hushed gasp from the audience)

Just did mine yesterday!

        Tim