GT6 engine and engine mouting questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 engine and engine mouting questions
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 14:01:28 -0400
        I'm having trouble getting the engine in my Spit/GT6 to
sit properly.  I don't really know what the problem is, or even
if there is one for sure, but this is what I have observed.  The
engine appears to be resting on the steering rack, or at least
it is very close to it.  The fan/crankshaft is pretty far off the
the centerline of the car (maybe 2 inches) and the transmission
output flange is on the centerline.  Therefore, the entire
engine/transmission unit might be on an angle.
        What could be wrong: everything!  There is not a single
part of this car I have not messed with.  I'm afraid that I did
not pay attention to the shims under the front suspension towers and
that they are the source of the trouble. But, would like to be
able to make a fairly accurate diagnosis before I take the engine
out and mess with the towers.  I have put in new engine mounts
and I am certain that the mounting brackets on the engine are
not bent.  There isn't very much symmetry in the engine mounts,
so it has been hard to compare measurements from side to side.
        Any suggestions?  Is the crankshaft supposed to be on
the centerline of the frame?  BTW, the only parts on the frame which
are not from a GT6 are the front suspension towers, they are from
the spitfire.  I compared the GT6 and Spit towers and I couldn't
find any differences.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu