Carlisle Trip report

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Carlisle Trip report
From: Andrews Peter F <andrewpf%geds@mhsgate.salem.ge.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 16:04:50 EST
I had my first trip to the Carlisle Import Flea Market last Friday.  It
was a beautiful day and turned out to be worth the 275 mile one way ride,
if only for the experience. (And that says a lot considering all 550
miles were in my Rabbit Diesel whose only virtue is that it is
indestructable.  HUH?  WHAT?  SPEAK UP!  I CAN"T HEAR YOU.).

Anyway Friday is great for the flea market and the vendors but not so
good for looking at the display cars.  No one showed up in the Sprite
Club area by 1pm to my dismay.  It was neat seeing rows of little display
boxes  filled with only obscure Bugeye parts.  "Hey look Dad, Bugeye
bumper spacers!"  I did see a Moss Bugeye bumper for $190 I should have
gotten but didn't.  Tires come first...

I found an original Bugeye Parts Manual for $125.  I passed on it.
Scarborough Faire was selling xeroxed versions for big Healeys for $25 -
the proprietress said she had Bugeye versions at the home office.  Maybe
I'll get one.  (Any copyright on those I wonder.)

The kitcars there didn't stir my heart.  Someone had a mostly fiberglass
Bugeye with a V8 in it - It was a poor copy.  Lots of Cobra replicas, of
course.

Dad got lots of rubber for his VW Bug restoration but was really
intrigued by the chrome bumpered MGBs he saw.  Maybe, just maybe...

p.s.  Sorry Daren.  I saw no tach gearboxes, new or used, anywhere.

Pete "whose car Clanky is only slightly quieter than the Piper J-4 Cub I
"flew" last week" Andrews

Pete Andrews                    1959 AH Sprite Mk1  AN5L/18575
andrews_pf@salem.ge.com         1961 AH Sprite MK1  AN5L/44591