1980-1986 Jaguars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 1980-1986 Jaguars
From: paulw@hpcpsaab.ptp.hp.com
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 08:52:23 -0800 (PDT)
>  1980-86 Jaguars? (GLEASONJ)

>Date: Sun, 15 May 1994 14:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
>From: GLEASONJ@delphi.com
>Subject: 1980-86 Jaguars?
>
>I'm considering buying an early/mid-eighties Jaguar, XJ6 or XJS V12, for
>my wife.  Are there any particular models to avoid (recurring engine or
>tranny problems, etc.)?  I expect to have to put some effort into keeping
>it running, but I'd like to avoid buying a model which NEVER ran right.
>Thanks to all.

...stuff deleted...

>John

John-

I'd post the same question to the Jaguar club, and see what response you
get there.  They've been wrestling with these things for quite some time.
Of course, with a question such as yours, the feedback will be primarily
opinions.  As for my opinion, I've got an '84 XJS.  Great car when every-
thing works.  However, don't even think about taking more than one
passenger with you, as the rear seat is primarily for decoration.

Furthermore, the XJS can be a bear to work on, simply because of the
size of the motor and the shoe-horn fit under the hood.  But, there is
the upside- press the accelerator, and the V12 pulls, and pulls, and....

Good luck in your search-

Regards,

Paul