Re: MGB Piston Replacement

To: sfisher@megatest.com
Subject: Re: MGB Piston Replacement
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 08:00:35 PDT
Scott,
Since many of us equate lbc repairs to a Zen Experience, I vote for taking
the time to pull the engine, doing the work neatly and cleanly on an
engine stand.  It feels less like a compromise.  The light is better.  Hey,
we're not flat-rate mechanics - this is a hobby!.  Much of the joy is savoring
the task.  I often use end wrenches instead of sockets and rarely use the air
ratchet.  Just begin with the first bolt and keep at it steadily until the
engine
is out and bolted to the stand.  It takes me about 3 hours to completely
remove engine & gearbox from my MGA, working alone.  With a helper, it
could be two hours.  Go for it!

On another subject, my two British cars coexist very well, perhaps because
the TR4A is the larger, newer, more powerful one and the MGA is contented
being smaller and older.  Teriann has it the other way around; maybe that's
the cause of her problems.  And then, maybe not....

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive