NJ clunker bill update...and more bad laws

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: NJ clunker bill update...and more bad laws
From: djd@rs.com (Dan Dasaro)
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 15:34:32 EDT
Hi gang,

I have a followup to a recent post re: NJ bill A-622 (anyone get a copy
yet?).

I spoke to Sharon at NJ DMV's modified/reconstructed vehicles office.
I asked about this bill in concept (didn't have the name handy) and she
replied that her office _is_ looking out for the classic/custom car
owners.  While there won't be a ban on pre-'81 cars and our cars won't
be impounded and crushed, there is a move to get the high polluting
clunkers off the road.  None of this is finalized at this date and of
course it is still a problem for the used parts market if cars that are
(voluntarily or otherwise) removed from service are destroyed.

I also asked replacing an original engine with one from a different
car. Currently the engine must have the emissions equipment for the
original car (catalytic converter, etc.), and must meet certain levels
of emissions.  This basically means put in an engine that's not older
than the original for the car.

But the new inspection plan going into effect in January 1995 (which
may bring back the state-inspection-only and remove independent station
inspections) really changes things.  After conferring with her
supervisor, Sharon relayed to me that all cars will be listed in a
rulebook that will have details about the car, such as available
engines, pollution equipment, and acceptable emission levels.  If
anything doesn't fit the book, the car will be considered tampered with
and it won't pass, therefore no registration!

If this is true, all exotic body/engine combos in NJ, such as the
MGB/V8, Jag/Chevy, Sprite/13B will not make it through the 1995
inspection!

I'll risk the flames this group may generate and sheepishly admit that
I asked specifically about Jags w/ Chevy engines.  I'm looking into an
XJS with a Chevy 400 that a friend is selling.  The current book says
"1987 XJS, all engines, ...", not enough detail to cause a problem.
The '95 edition will list the engines available for that year and V8's
won't pass.  I tried to ask the question a few ways, specifically
asking what will happen to all such cars that are already in use, and
got the same answer - they won't pass.

Now what?

-Dan "guess my LBC's will remain purely British" Dasaro