"Backbeat" Boycott by Jaguar

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: "Backbeat" Boycott by Jaguar
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 15:23:53 -0500 (CDT)
This has some british-car content.  Considering the laundry-list of
newsgroups to which it was posted, I can't believe the author would mind
that it appears here.
-----------
From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu (Lewis (YDNCTFL YWSRCFAOTW) McCarthy)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles,rec.arts.movies,alt.religion.kibology,
rec.autos.misc,alt.food.sugar-cereals,misc.legal,soc.culture.british,
rec.autos.vw
Subject: "Backbeat" Boycott
Date: 14 May 1994 09:09:03 GMT

A friend of mine who's temporarily lost his UseNet access asked me to post
this for him (maybe now I'll go to see the movie for myself !):
--- begin forwarded article
        Apparently, the tie-in contest for the new Beatles/Stu Sutcliffe film
"Backbeat" has triggered a boycott. The contest offers winners a brand-new
VW Golf, appropriate for the film's Hamburg setting. Originally, when Gramercy
Pictures was looking for sponsors, they were approached by Jaguar with the
contest idea. Unfortunately, the deal fell through, and Jaguar claims that
Gramercy snubbed them because they are now a division of Ford UK and "not
properly British." Jaguar is organizing a boycott against the film on the
grounds that it "does a disservice to the image of British youth...portraying
the Beatles as a pack of yobs instead of the hardworking lads they actually
were." Gramercy, riding high on the success of such films as "Four Weddings
and a Funeral," is urging the public to decide for themselves. Ex-Virgin
chairman Richard Bransom weighed in on the subject by saying that he'd turn
in all his Jags for Audis if Jaguar goes ahead with the boycott.
--- end forwarded article

-Lewis

--
Phil Ethier  Sewer Div  Internet phile@stpaul.gov  BITNet Phile@USCN  266-6244