Midget questions-o-rama

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget questions-o-rama
From: nglassbe@acs.bu.edu (Noah Glassberg)
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 22:55:48 -0400
        Hello fellow LBCrs.  Last message I posted to the list concerned a
certain carb removed from my car for cleanup/minor work and trouble occured
when it was back in after the work.  Good news!  The car is up and running
(still a bit of backfire, but very bearable - at least compared to how the
car was running before... it helps to have a mechanic for a brother-in-law
who happens to live with you).  I posted it a while back and got some mail
I never responded to.  Just wanted to say thanks for your help...
        Now back to the problems at hand.  Ah, where to begin.  I supose my
first question is about a curious vibrating/shaking noise when the car is
under load.  Whenever the tack is above about 2500-3000 it occurs.  I haven't
had any trouble since it started (about 1 1/2 years or so...) and I've driven
the car a good 3000 miles or so.  Oh, the noise is in the engine... important
fact.  I have no clue as to what it could be or if it is BAD... any ideas?
        The spedometer.  It seems that the spedo is a good 5-10 mph off.  I
should have taken the hint after my first ticket, but noooooooooooo!  But gee
officer, I had no clue that my car could even go 70.  What year is the car, he
asks... 74 I say.  Spedo must be off.  Gee thanks buddy.  Oh well, I got the
hint after the second time.  I'm running 155-80/13 inch tires on the rims.
Are these the original size for the midget (73 or so... Not completely sure of
the exact year.  It's a 1275 chrome bumper... one of the last I supose,
relatively speaking).  Oh, that reminds me... I should get a new tire for the
most recent blowout.  But I digress...
        Cylendar head.  I had bought myself a pretty damn sorry 67 sprite
(auful metalic brown... what on earth was the owner thinking!) that I have
pretty much parted out.  From it I have a head that I'm contemplating
rebuilding and then swaping with the current one.  Are there any compatability
problems with the swap?  Anything I should be aware/careful of?
        Oil burning.  The car drinks about a quart every 100 miles.  Very an

anoying.  I can see oil everywhere in the engine compartment... so a gasket
change for the valve cover, oil sump etc... helped alot.  There's no auful
clouds of smoke, but I am still assuming oil burning due to the copious
consumption.  What should I look for?
        I am currently living in Cambridge Massachusetts right now and am wonder
ing if there are any British car parts stores in the Boston/Cambridge area
that anyone could suggest.  The mail order houses (Vic Brit, Moss, etc.) are
great and all, but nothing could be finer than to walk into a specialty shop
and just browsing... dreaming about being able to afford that beautiful new
nick nack right in front of my face.  Sigh.  How about any used British car
parts establishments?
        Well, I think that's all I can think of right now.  If anyone out there
in the area sees a red/metalic brown hood & fender/orange-red door Midget
driving down the road, smile, give a wave and be sure to get one back.  Happy
motoring.

ps  I realize there may be a few common knowledge questions up ther somewhere,
    so plese don't hesitate to e-mail me at my adress.

pss Great, informative mailing list.  I love it!  G

Noah Glassberg
nglassbe@acs.bu.edu