Re: Introduction to British Sports Cars

To: Scott Fisher <sfisher@megatest.com>
Subject: Re: Introduction to British Sports Cars
From: "Ron Tewksbury" <ront@twg.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 16:32:46 PDT
~ Now lets talk about British Cars.

<<Excellent primer on Triumph and MG engines deleted>>

I have not spent any time and am not particularly familiar with these
engines. I know they are somewhat similar to my old, familiar B18/20s. I
have owned a Sunbeam Alpine, which is also similar. I also owned a Sprite
with a Weber DOCE, but lets NOT talk about that.

>One of the MGB's best features, BTW, is the rigidity of its unit-body
>construction, something that Volvos are famous for.  If anything, the
>B is probably 150 pounds overweight for its size, due to the over-
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Compaired to an 1800, its a lightweight.

>built nature of the unibody.

>Of course, if I recall, Ron, you have a 164.  Maybe the right TR for
>you would be the TR6.  If you're at all susceptible to the extra
>torque and the sound of a six, drive a TR6.

I hadn't considered on of these, but the straight six in my Volvo is
growing on me. I rather visioned something small and light. Our 1800 was
fun to drive, but it was a heavy car (they weigh MORE than a 122), and I
did get tired of the feeling of weight.

<<Nice discussion of MGC deleted>>

>If you live in a Bad Climate (I can't recall where you are), an MGC-GT
>might be a nice British six-cylinder sports car with good weather
>protection and reduced revs from a smoother engine for long-distance
>touring.  If you're looking for a car in which to make 1000-mile trips
>in comfort and (comparative) quiet, the MGC-GT (or even a B-GT with
>overdrive) is a great choice.  I've driven B-GTs extensively, and
>while I've never owned one, I've always been impressed with how nicely
>they combine the feel of an M.G. with much of the comfort and snugness
>of what many people consider a "real car" (that is, something with a
>roof and windows).

I have always liked the MGBGT. In fact, I think it looks nicer that the
roadster. I really want something without a top, or better yet, something
that has a hardtop that comes off. But I would consider an MGBGT for other
reasons having nothing to do with the weather. I live in Redwood City, CA,
so cold isn't a problem.

>However, I have to say that there is nothing quite like an open British
>sports car.  I haven't even covered Sprites, Midgets, and Spitfires, the
>usual first step on the Castrol-covered slope of LBC ownership; my own
>first British sports car was an M.G. Midget, and I suppose by that the
>die was cast.

Yahoo! I LOVE open cars! My first car was a Sprite. Too bad I didn't know
diddly about how to keep it up.

<<discussion of British Car Economics deleted>>

I don't have to convince Julia that I need a sports car. She's already sold
on the idea. She was the one who persuaded me to buy the 1800. We have
established a fund for this, but money is trickling in at a woefully slow
pace.

>The last word (for the time being): Every British car is a project car.
>...You'll always have something to do on a 30-year-old sports car.  My
>advice would be to buy the nicest car you can find within your price
>range,but to hold out some cash in reserve for the first big project you
>encounter.

Sage advice. One of the things I miss the most about our departed 1800 was
the tinkering. I recently sold a Volvo 142, and the purchaser asked me what
problems I had encountered with the car. I said that the 142 was a really
boring car. Nothing went wrong in the year I owned it. I like to tinker on
cars, and right now, I don't have a car to tinker on.

>Best of luck, and enjoy whatever you end up with!

>--Scott Fisher

Thanks

Ron Tewksbury
ront@twg.com