TR6 gearbox / J overdrive

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 gearbox / J overdrive
From: Richard Smith <richard@mole.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 May 1994 09:49:03 -0600
John Dombey writes:

>How easy/hard/difficult/impossible is it to take an early TR6 gearbox,
>(I've got both a '69 and a '70 box) and mate it to a J-type overdrive?
>I've heard that converting a box to overdrive is not that hard, but is
>that only conversions of with similar vintage parts?  Anyhow, I've come
>accross a J-type for a reasonable price, and was wondering what I'm
>letting myself in for.

Easy nuts-&-bolts job. BUT...

You'll have to strip the gearbox, beacuse you also need to replace the
gearbox output shaft for one intended for the J overdrive. The only way you
can do this is to totally dismantle the gearbox anmd rebuild it around the
new output shaft.

The J overdrive will need mating with the proper adaptor to the rear of the
'box.

Richard Smith (richard@mole.demon.co.uk)

Antique Auto restorer, Agricultural engineer, shepherd, electrician,
electronics design engineer (in order of income!)