Re: building a tr6 OD transmission

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com,
Subject: Re: building a tr6 OD transmission
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Sun, 29 May 1994 10:06:18 -0700
John Dombey writes:

> How easy/hard/difficult/impossible is it to take an early TR6 gearbox,
> (I've got both a '69 and a '70 box) and mate it to a J-type overdrive?

Richard Smith comments:

> Easy nuts-&-bolts job. BUT...

> You'll have to strip the gearbox, beacuse you also need to replace the
> gearbox output shaft for one intended for the J overdrive. The only way you
> can do this is to totally dismantle the gearbox anmd rebuild it around the
> new output shaft.

I'll second Richard's opinion. You'll also need the following parts if they
weren't supplied with the overdrive: Right-angle speedometer adapter ($100),
Overdrive switch ($50), Wiring harness ($30), Escutcheon ($15).

Is it worth it? In my opinion, YES!

 -- Flemming Larsen                             flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu