MGB-GT Fuel pump vent line ?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB-GT Fuel pump vent line ?
From: scott@math.umass.edu (Scott F. Conti)
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 1994 09:41:05 -0400 (EDT)
        A question for anyone out there with a 1968 MGB-GT...

        On the SU fuel pump, there is a nipple for a vent.
        In my car, there is a piece of 1/8" i.d. vinyl hose attached
        to it that is routed up through the floor and into the
        spare-tire well. The line pokes through a grommet about 1.5" and is
        attached to a plastic "tee". There is nothing else attached to
        this tee. Naturally, the well always smells a little like fuel
        even though the rubber hose attaching the filler neck to the
        tank is well sealed and clamped. I can find no reference to
        this vent line in any of the 3 different service manuals I have.
        The 1968 did not come equipped with a charcoal cannister setup
        or anything like that.

        The question is:
        What is this tee for ? Is this the proper routing for the
        vent-line ? If not, what is ?

                                        Thanks !

--

Scott F. Conti                                          scott@math.umass.edu