Re: Spitfire Handbrake guide.

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Handbrake guide.
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 13:32:21 EST
 Adam, to coin a phrase: Been There, Done That. In my case, I was my own
 dreaded PO in that I had too long ignored the telltale signs of a
 disintegrating U-joint, which let go and inflicted much the same damage
 on my 1974 Spitfire. I was towed home OK (rear end on a sling -- the
 car's, not mine!) but then couldn't push the car across my yard to get
 to the garage to work on it. Sure the axle flopped around, but it should have
 rolled fine. Except that I discovered (after getting three friends to help
 push
 an 1800 lb. car 50 ft.) that the loose rear axle had hammered
 down the cable guide, thereby capturing the cable in the fully ON position!

 Did your guide totally self-destruct? I was able to save mine with
 liberal applications of the *Don't force it, get a bigger hammer/
 screwdriver* philosophy. It doesn't have to be perfectly curved; you just
 need a
 fairly smooth path to guide the cable, along with a generous
 application of a good grease to keep it moving, not binding!

 Of course, if it's totally trashed, please ignore the above, and
 good luck finding a replacement (what about Kipping's?).

 Andy *thank heavens for parts cars* Mace <amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov>