Rear Ends

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Ends
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 10:47:41 +0000 ()
RE: Kieran Donahue

Hope Kieran can get this, as I see he's on the clevland Freenet. Anyway,
I'm a bit vague on what's leaky, at te front and right etc., and which
filler plug we're talking about. I'll assume that we're looking at the
differential here, and on it's own.

First off, the breathing hole is the first thing to clear out if there's
seeping of  fluids. Next, be clear that bearings bear loads and seals,
well...  seal things. Leaking is not, on it's own, a reason to go at the
bearings. Often seals and gaskets that leak worse after replacing are
improperly installed and this is because the area was not cleaned well
after removing the old one.

Finally, you said that you're restoring your TR6 but not how long you've
had it. Old british iron does leak around the seals a bit and it's not
too serious as long as things stay topped up. I never could get my TR3 to
stop weeping in the bell housing, around the input shaft. I never park it
on a hill with the rear end low!

The TR6 diff is a pretty robust creature. I'd say that the seals should
do it, but be very clean and careful in the process.

Good luck Kieran. Hope you can access this.

 Maybe someone on the net can echo this to his freenet?

Chris Ball
Toronto Triumph Club