Oil filter design...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil filter design...
From: montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 94 07:14:27 EDT
In rereading my post in which I wrote:

    There are only a few design parameters, right? (Operational pressure
    range, threads, oil seal, oil flow direction, presence of a check
    valve.)

I realized I missed at least two parameters and badly stated at least one
other:

    threads - should be more like "diameter and pitch of spin-on threads"
    oil seal - should be "cartridge diameter"
    I missed operational flow volume range and cartridge length

Okay, so there are a fair number of design parameters, and I'm no
mechanical/fluids engineer, so I may well have missed more. Still, a
relatively small number of filter cartridges ought to fit most
applications. All engines get by with a very few number of different motor
oil grades and viscosities. My guess is that the oil filter suffers from
incomplete or non-existent standardization.

--
Skip Montanaro (montanaro@ausable.crd.ge.com)
Now working for Automatrix. Details at 11.