Re: Motorhead (Vendor Info)

To: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Motorhead (Vendor Info)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 11:08:33 -0400 (EDT)
I find reports on vendors to be particularly useful aspects of this list.
I want to offer a tie-breaking vote on Motorhead.  I found their prices on
the high side, but they seemed to have things for Spridgets that I could
not find elsewhere in the US, such as reproduction seat pans (actually
replacement, since they were hand-made in Mexico and rather far from the
originals).  If you expect concours-winning reproductions, my experience
would say you'll often be disappointed.  If you need something that works,
originality be damned, and cannot find it elsewhere, try Motorhead.

Quiz them about the part if you want an exact reproduction; this may save
Motorheadaches.  When I've done this, I have found they seem bit
disdainful of efforts to maintain originality.  I called to see if they
had the proper clamps for steering rack boots, and was told, "Our guys use
cable ties," in a voice that implied that only an anal compulsive twit
would want the original style (I am an anal compulsive twit, but for other
reasons).  Except for this "whatever we have is right" philosophy, I have
been very satisfied with their service.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910