Spit cranks/rear main oil seals

To: amace%sedofis@sed.bitnet, rgs03@albnydh2.bitnet
Subject: Spit cranks/rear main oil seals
From: bownes@lucas.emi.com (R.M. Bownes III)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 13:18:11 +0500
According to the book I have, early type Spit 1147's were furnished with
a scroll type rear oil seal, and later types with a lip/rubber type oil seal.

The rear oil seal housings are different as well. The lip type seal is much
lower in profile, and is built out of Aluminium. See where I'm headed...

Anyway, I was wondering if the cranks had changed as well. I have 2 cranks,
3 blocks, and 3 oil seal housings. The cranks are both the same
(as was the somewhat dented previous one I pitched). If I can use the
lip type I'd rather as it's a good 2-4 lbs lighter and probably seals better...

Anyone know?

iii